Postdoctoral Researcher at the Chair of Empirical Communication and Media Research with focus on methodology and methods (Prof. A. Bartsch). My research and teaching focuses on modalities of media use and media reception, communicative practices in the context of social and media change as well as research methodology and methods, in particular methods of theory development.
- since 04/2017
Postdoctoral Researcher, Institute of Communiation and Media Studies, Leipzig University
- 06/2014 - 03/2017
Research Associate and Postdoctoral researcher, Department of Communication Studies and Media Research, LMU Munich
- 04/2008 - 03/2014
Research Associate, Institute of Communication and Media Studies, Leipzig University
- 04/2008 - 12/2015
PhD in Communication, with a thesis conceptualizing and empirically validating an "experiential mode" of media reception
- 10/2001 - 12/2007
MA Communication and Cultural Studies, Leipzig University
My first research focus is generally in the fields of media use and media reception. In particular, I am interested in modalities/strategies of media reception and media use as well as in communicative practices in the context of social and media change, also from a historical perspective. A further focus is the methodology and methodology of social and communication research, in particular empirical and non-empirical methods of theory development.
- Krämer, B.; Frey, F.Measuring strategies of media use. Methodological approaches and the 'techno-phenomenological gap'In: Peter, C.; Naab, T. K.; Kühne, R. (Eds.)Measuring media use and exposure: Recent developments and challenges. Köln: Halem. 2019. pp. 15-37
- Frey, F.The experiential mode of media reception: A holistic framework conceptCommunication Theory. 2018. pp. 487-510
- Frey, F.Medienrezeption als ErfahrungWiesbaden: Springer VS. 2017
- Frey, F.Test theory and classical test theoryIn: van den Bulck, J. (Ed.)The international encyclopedia of media psychology. Hoboken: Wiley. 2020.
- Publikationspreis: Zeitschriftenpreis 2017 für die besten Aufsätze des Vorjahres in Publizistik, Medien & Kommunikationswissenschaft und SCM (2. Preis)show detailsFrey, Felix (Empirische Kommunikations- und Medienforschung)awarded in 2017 by DGPuK.
- Wissenschaftliche TagungStatistische Zugänge zu Sprache. Tagung des Zentrums für quantitative empirische Sozialforschung Leipzig (QuanteL)Empirische Kommunikations- und MedienforschungEvent Organiser: Bartsch, Anne; Frey, Felix15/06/2018
- PreconferenceCrafting Theory. Methods of Theory Building in CommunicationEmpirische Kommunikations- und MedienforschungEvent Organiser: Frey, Felix; Krämer, Benjamin24/05/2019
One part of my teaching consists of introductory and advanced courses on theories of media use, reception and effects. Additionally, I regularly run research courses on BA and MA levels that are closely connected to my own current research projects. The second part consists of courses in social research methods (survey methods, [online/social media] content analysis, statistics). Here, I take an applied approach but also aim at enabling students to use these methods reflectively.