If you finished your Master studies in social science, political science, history, international relations, law, humanities and economics with very good results, you can apply to our structured joint PhD Programme.
Students applying for this programme should write a research proposal related to peace and security studies and global studies.
A selection committee with professors from both universities chose the pre-candidates. Chosen applicants will be invited to an interview before the final decision is taken. The programme starts in October every year. There are two deadlines for application: February 29 for early admission and April 30 for late admission.
- an interesting research proposal related to our PhD programme
- academic excellence (study results and quality of higher education institution)
- motivation, academic potential, and recommendation letters
- match of previous degree with our programme
- work experience and professional qualification
- language skills
Please note: The single most important document you submit for your application is the research proposal. It has to be of excellent academic quality showing that you are aware of the current status of research with thorough references to other scholar's work. It further needs to propose an original idea that has not been investigated yet.
- Application form
- proposal of your PhD Dissertation (3.000 words)
- certified copy of original university diploma which qualifies you for PhD studies
- certified transcript of records issued by the prior university
- English test results, if English was not the language of instruction at your previous university
- Curriculum vitae (no longer than two pages)
- Two recommendation letters
- Letter of motivation
- Copy of passport
Students will be part of the Graduate School of Global and Area Studies at Leipzig University as well as part of the Institute of Peace and Security Studies in Addis Ababa University. International students from outside of Ethiopia have to get their Master certificate certified by their Ministry of Foreign Affairs before they come to study.
Fees and living expenses
Tuition fees for the programme will be €5,000 per study year. Applicants are expected to look for funds in order to cover the costs for tuition and registration fees as well as living expenses in Addis Ababa (32 months). The minimum monthly costs for accommodation, food, health insurance and other personal expenses are about 10.000 ETB in Addis Ababa.
Applicants are encouraged to seek financial support/a scholarship from sources such as government institutions, employers, donor institutions or non-governmental organisations. Applicants interested in DAAD Scholarships should do an early application and check the selection criteria here