General information for international students who would like to study at the University of Leipzig for one or more semesters. We have summarised the most important information for a smooth start in Leipzig on this page.

enlarge the image:
Foto: Colourbox

General Information and Application

To apply as a student at the University of Leipzig, please fill in the forms provided by the International Office, the “Stabsstelle Internationales” (SI).

The Stabsstelle Internationales (= International Office) takes care of all general organisation routines during your stay here in Leipzig including

  • application
  • registration
  • accomodation
  • student card
  • etc.

The head of the International Office, Dr Svend Poller, is your institutional co-ordinator.

The person responsible for academic advising is the coordinator at the Institute of Communication and Media Studies (KMW) Erasmus Office. Please contact the Erasmus+ Assistant for any questions.

The Institute of Communication and Media Studies (KMW-Institut) is structured into the following departments:

1. Communication Studies
2. Empirical Research in Communication and Media
3. Journalism (print-, radio-, tv-, agency journalism)
4. Journalism Science
5. Media Studies
6. Digital Media Culture
7. Media Pedagogy
8. Book Studies
9. Public Relations & Communication Management

The KMW-Institut offers a large education programme. Currently we offer one BA degree programme and four MA degree programmes.

BA Communication and Media Studies
MA Communication and Media Studies
MA Global Mass Communication
MSc Journalism
MA Communication Management

The BA Communication and Media Studies includes modules from all departments. The MA specialize in different fields. You can find more information on the academic programme of the Institute of Communication and Media Studies by clicking the link.

The academic year at Leipzig University is divided into two semesters.

Winter Semester: 1st October - 31th March
(Lectures finish in January/February, followed by an approx. 4-week exam period and the semester break until the end of March.)

Summer Semester: 1st April - 31th September
(Lectures finish in the end of July, followed by an approx. 4-week exam period and the semester break until the end of September.)

Courses and Timetables

The full range of courses offered by the Institute of KMW can be found in the information on the study programme.

We recommend the following courses for international students in the Bachelor KMW. For Master's students, the following overview of courses in the MA programs KMW, Communication Management and Journalism suitable for Erasmus students applies. 

You can also get information about modules and courses from the institute's coordinator or the Erasmus assistant

Please consider the specifications and requirements of your home university:

  • How many courses do you have to attend?
  • How many credits do you need?
  • Do you need marks?

Course enrollment

You can find all the necessary information for your exchange semester on our faculty's website. You will find information on how to fill out the Learning Agreement and which modules you can choose from.

Generally you should discuss this with the relevant lecturer. You may choose courses offered by other faculties and institutes – but you need to get the lecturers' permission. If you are planning to attend a course at another institute, please write an email to the relevant lecturer and introduce yourself at the beginning of the first session.

Are there courses in English?

At the Institute of Communication and Media Studies courses are primarily held in German. At the moment, we offer the following courses in English: 

  • Theories and Research Concepts in Media Studies* (winter term)

  • Theories and Research Concepts of Media Reception and Effects* (winter term)

  • Implementation and Evaluation of a Research Project in Journalism* (summer term)

  • Implementation and Evaluation of a Research Project in Communication Management* (summer term) 

*the courses are not offered every year, so please check the study programme

Where to find courses to improve one's German?

The website of the International Office offers various information on helpful courses and contatcs during your stay. 

ECTS and Grades

There are different ways to get credit points:

If you attend an entire module from the Bachelor or Master programme and pass all exams, you’ll receive 10 ECTS. For two modules you get 20 ECTS: Basic Module I and II in the BA programme.

If you choose to attend single lectures or courses (seminars), the ECTS credits are awarded as follows:

  • 3 courses from one module (lecture/seminar): 3 ECTS per course + 1 ECTS per passed exam
  • 2 courses from one module (lecture/seminar): 4 ECTS per course + 1 ECTS per passed exam

As there are no exams for a single course, your assessment modalities should be arranged individually with the Erasmus assistant and/or lecturer.

“Participation points” (Teilnahmepunkte) can only be awarded for an approximately ten-minute conversation/interview with the lecturer at the end of the course. The certificate of achievement (Leistungsschein - in the download section) is then signed by the lecturer.

The grades range goes from 1 to 5.

1,0 / 1,3

A (very good)

1,7 / 2,0 / 2,3

B (good)

2,7 / 3,0 / 3,3

C (satisfactory)

3,7 / 4,0

D (sufficient)


F (unsatisfactory / failed)

Learning Agreement and Transcript of Records

The Learning Agreement is your individual course plan. Your home university needs the Learning Agreement along with other documents in order to be able to to track whether and what exactly you have studied at your host university.

Once you have chosen your courses from the course catalogue, you transfer them to the Learning Agreement.

Usually, the course programme (Vorlesungsverzeichnis) for the winter semester is published at the end of August and for the summer semester at the end of February. You will find the courses offered in the course catalogue.

It is possible that your course plan may change. This can happen if, for example, your preferences or the course catalogue change. This is common and unproblematic. If you have to submit your Learning Agreement very early to your home university, you can simply enter courses from the most recent course catalogue. You can still change your Learning Agreement later (after your arrival) according to your wishes.

In order to receive your final Transcript of Records, you must have a certificate of achievement ("Leistungsschein" which you can find in the downloads section) of each course you attended signed by the respective lecturer before you leave Leipzig. Then you submit copies (!) of all your “Leistungsscheine” to the KMW Erasmus office via post or email.

Once your paperwork is complete, your Transcript of Records will be issued and you can collect it.

If you are leaving before you have received all your marks, please make sure that your certificates of achievement are forwarded to the KMW Erasmus office (P.O. Box number: PF 165121). Otherwise you will have to send them as a copy by post or email to the KMW Erasmus office. We will gladly send your documents to your home university or to your private address.


Das könnte Sie auch interessieren


Read more


Read more


Read more